Messner is owned locally, and committed to OUR community.
In 1962 Ben Messner started selling carpet from the back of a wood-paneled station wagon. He quickly established a reputation for providing first-rate service, honest dealings, and uncompromising quality. Business grew. The company evolved. A new generation leads. Messner’s first-rate service, honest dealings, and uncompromising quality are unchanged. Read more about Messner’s history.
1962 Ben Messner opens the B. J. Messner Co. in a one-room office on Monroe Avenue, presently, Cornell’s Jewelers.
1972 A one-room office and sample room on Saginaw Drive.
1977 Peter joins the firm after Ben’s health setback.
1978 28 South Main St. opens our first retail venture, a 1000 sq. ft. showroom and office.
1980 Opening of our first warehouse, 1000 sq. ft. on Monroe Ave.
1984 Messner moves to a 3,000 sq. ft. warehouse and expands into additional offices. Greg joins the company.
1987 After Ben suffers another health setback, Peter takes control of a 5-employee company.
1988 Major renovation of the South Main Street store and Grand Reopening celebrating 25 years.
1989 Peter moves the commercial division, operations and warehouse to Halstead Street.
1993 The company buys the old Pittsford Post Office at 19 Monroe Avenue, and remodels the building. Messner commercial and administration move in as does State Farm Insurance.
1999 Messner Flooring Re:Source is launched and moves to a 18,000 sq. ft. facility on University Ave.
The store is renovated to house the new Martha Stewart flooring line.
Jack Messner joins the firm in the Messner Flooring Re:Source company.
2008 State Farm moves out and the RUG ROOM is opened.
2009 The store is fully renovated and now occupies all 5,800 square feet. Messner receives the Pittsford Business Person of the year award.